Skip to content
- Why are you considering a migration? (11:33)
- It’s easy to get excited by new tools. The problems that you are trying to solve should guide the process of moving to new software. Even though the technology is exciting, we must look beyond them to plan a good migration. The big thing to consider right of the bat is why are you considering a migration? What problems are we solving?
- Thinking about migrations (12:28)
- There are two common approaches: the solution oriented and the technology driven. The solution oriented approach focuses on user needs, has a holistic scope, and may result in unmet solutions. The technology driven approach focuses on available tools, which influence the scope, and there are potential gaps in functionality and user experience. You want to think about which approach is more likely to result in happy users.
- Consider who could benefit from the repository now and in the future. Who’s going to maintain the system? Who’s going to maintain/assure the quality of data?’
- Think of a migration as a time for renewal.
- Get to know Islandora (20:30)
- Get to know Islandora before beginning the real migration process.
- Why is the content migration so important (22:21)
- Reviewing content (24:15)
- This is a big part of the project that can eat up a lot of time. Try not to get into analysis paralysis during this part. Review and document the different document types. Get the individual fields and see if there’s similarities between types. Be on the look-out for inconsistencies in the use of taxonomies, character encodings, and relationships. Try to clean these up for the new system. Spreadsheets and diagrams are great ways to conceptualize and share this information.
- Approximating the migration effort (27:05)
- Preparing for the migration (31:34)
- Try not to over-prepare. Also try to set expectations so that everyone is aware that the first attempt won’t be perfect.
- Getting content into Islandora (33:38)
- Q&A (41:28)
- How big is an average migration? (41:28)
- How long would a small migration take? (43:44)
- Can you speak a little more on Gearman? We are in the process of migrating a huge amount of content and it is taking a very long time. (45:00)
- We’re migrating a few small collections from ContentDM. What are some common challenges you’ve experienced when migrating ContentDM collections? (46:13)
- Are you aware of places using Gearman within Islandora installs hosted on Amazon AWS? (47:40)
- Our library needs to migrate huge amounts of objects, some have complicated content structure. What is the best method to estimate the time and cost involved? (48:20)